Termites are dreaded because of the huge amount of damage they can cost your home. A home with a termite infestation goes through a great deal of structural damage. There are certain way which can ensure that these pesky little things stay away from your home. Since termites survive in warm and moist places, it’s essential to make sure that the garden or the earth around your home should remain termite free.
Termites usually enter the home from the area where the wood touches the moist soil. Calling in a termite specialist in Dubbo would help you identify the problem areas around your home. The experts at termites Dubbo recommend using integrated pest management to get rid of the termites. These include making a few structural changes within your home. This would make your home less attractive to termites and there is almost no risk of termite infestation.
While there are several options available for controlling termites, the ones which you choose should depend upon your home and your budget. Termiticides which comprise of both baits and liquids are a good way of keeping the pests away.
The formula used for the liquids can be either repellent or non-repellent. The major aim is to ensure that an infestation doesn’t take place at any cost. Another method which can be used to keep termites at bay is known as baiting. Baiting makes use of paper, cardboard or any other material which is attractive to the termites. A slow acting lethal substance is added to these boxes. When the termites tart consuming these, the poison goes into their system and kills the outright. Soon this would cause the number of termites to decline.
Signs your home has a termite infestation
So how do you know your home is infested with termites? The following are some clues which would help you identify a termite infestation:
- Presence of mud tubes in the home
- Discarded wings of mature termites
- Tap on the wooden structures in your home, if the sound is hollow or if the wood caves in even with a gentle push, the infestation has already spread within your home
However there are certain measures which you can take to ensure that your home stays free of termites and other such pests.
- Get rid of moisture in and around the base of your homes. If the area connecting to your home contains moist soil, make sure the soil is sprayed regularly with termiticides
- Any leaking pipes and faucets should be repaired immediately
- The foundation of the home needs to be kept free form moisture. Ensure that the drainage system around your home is in proper working order
- Seal the entry points around the water pipes
- Make sure to get rid of any pieces of wood and debris littered around the home. Keep your space clean and free from rotting materials